Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 1

So what was the purpose of a dress rehearsal for the Opening Ceremonies if they didn't make sure everything worked to a tee? So far it's been a bit disappointing. Originally I thought I would be getting emotional but the musical acts were OK at best. It wasn't until the "flag carrying ceremony" when I finally smiled. Anne Murray looked like she never aged, same with Donald Sutherland. And of course Betty Fox reminded me of perhaps the greatest athlete of them all. I hoped so much that the "rumor" of some sort of a Terry Fox hologram lighting the cauldron would be true, even though part of me was thinking it couldn't happen. But if not, then it had to be Wayne Gretzky.

The "group" that finally lit the cauldron was worthy of Canada. All were great athletes. But then some half-working contraption came out of the ground. Oops. Great preparation. Poor Catrina Lemay Doan.

That being said, I'm watching the Olympics for the sport and not the glitz. It is time for Canada to show everyone who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment